- Ni, L., & Martin, F. (2017). Creating Socially Relevant Mobile Apps: Infusing Computing into Middle School Curricula in Two School Districts. Philadelphia, PA: International Society of the Learning Sciences. PDF.
- Ni, L., Harunani, F., & Martin, F. (2017). Empowering middle school students to create data-enabled social apps. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 32(6), 88-100. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3069674.
- Lijun Ni, Diane Schilder, Mark Sherman, and Fred Martin. (2016). Computing with a community focus: outcomes from an app inventor summer camp for middle school students. Journal of Computing Sciences in Colleges, 31(6), June 2016, p. 82–89. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2904468.
- Ni, L., Sherman, M., Schilder, D., and Martin, F. (2016). Computing with a Community Focus: An App Inventor Summer Camp for Middle School Students. Poster presented at Proceedings of the 47th ACM Technical Symposium on Computing Science Education. ACM, 2016. See abstract at http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2850548, and poster PDF.
- The Creative New Way to Teach Kids Computer Science. Essay by Fred Martin on the CS Pathways project. Media Planet, Education and Career News. September 15, 2017.
- Middle School Pathways in Computer Science. Flash talk presented at NSF PIs and Evaluators meeting, June 15, 2017. Fred Martin, Lijun Ni, and Diane Schilder. slides.
- App Inventor: Empowering Middle Schoolers to Create Data-Rich Community Apps, invited presentation by Fred Martin at Autodesk University Design Symposium (DP23097), November 16, 2016, Las Vegas, NV. Video of presentation.
- CS Pathways: A Model of Inclusive Middle School Computing for Social Good, 55-minute presentation at MA STEM Summit (Worcester, MA), November 1, 2016.
- Building Middle School Engagement in Math and Computer Science: Findings from the NSF ITEST Program, panel presentation at MA STEM Summit (Worcester, MA), November 1, 2016.
- Integrating Project-Based Computing, 55-minute session at MassCUE Conference at Gillette Stadium (Foxboro, MA), October 19, 2016.
- CS Pathways in Gr 6-8: Making Apps for Social Good, presentation at Computer Science Teachers Association Annual Conference, July 11, 2016.
- Middle School Pathways in Computer Science, 3-minute video presentation at NSF 2016 Video Showcase. Included virtual conference discussion from May 16–20, 2016. See http://stemforall2016.videohall.com/presentations/764 or copy on YouTube.
- Fred Martin interview with Laura Carlo of WCRB-FM for Lowell Connector radio show. July 15, 2015. Google Drive link.
- Presentation at NSF ITEST PIs and Evaluators meeting, Fred Martin and Diane Schilder, May 2, 2015. See CS Pathways STELAR slides.
- Middle School Project-Based Computing, presented at Massachusetts Computer Using Educators’ conference (MassCUE), Foxboro, MA, October 21, 2015. See blog posting for slides and handouts.
Theses and Dissertations
- Sherman, Mark Andrew. (2017). Detecting Student Progress during Programming Activities by Analyzing Edit Operations on their Blocks-Based Programs. PhD dissertation, University of Massachusetts Lowell. Ann Arbor: ProQuest. Order No. 1929235847. Github document release.
- Harunani, Farzeen. (2016). AppVis: Enabling Data-Rich Apps in App Inventor. Master’s thesis, University of Massachusetts Lowell. Ann Arbor: ProQuest. Order No. 10409025.